It's FAFSA time again!

Posted by David Hershey on Sep 27, 2017 10:21:33 AM

fafsa-process.pngApply for financial aid with the FAFSA starting Oct 1!
The FAFSA,  Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is the online Federal application PCA&D and most colleges use to determine financial aid. It's also required for federal student loans.
Students may begin to file the 2018-2019 FAFSA early as October 1, 2017. Filing annually is required for financial aid, and filing as early as possible will allow more time to get your aid in place. Students applying and accepted to PCA&D will receive their financial aid information beginning in January.  PCA&D returning students' financial aid award letters will still be distributed starting in May, after academic progress is determined. 


Four things to remember:

  • You will need to file the FAFSA every year.
  • Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites, incuding  the FAFSA. Apply for your FSA ID here.
  • When submitting the FAFSA for the 2018-19 year, use 2016 Federal tax records. You will report asset and household information as of the day you file your FAFSA
  • Use the FAFSA/IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to automatically transfer required tax return information directly from the IRS into your FAFSA.
  • File the FAFSA early. You can get this task done beginning October 1.
Before you apply, gather the documents you'll need:
The FAFSA questions ask for information about you (your name, date of birth, address, etc.) and about your financial situation. Depending on your circumstances (for instance, whether you’re a U.S. citizen or what tax form you used), you might need the following information or documents as you fill out the application:
  • Your Social Security number (it’s important that you enter it correctly on the FAFSA form!)
  • Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student
  • Your driver’s license number if you have one
  • Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen
  • Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are a dependent student:
    • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ
    • Foreign tax return and/or
    • Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student
  • Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate but not including the home in which you live; and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student

Note: Keep these records! You may need them again. Do not mail your records to us.

If you have any questions, please ask. Dave Hershey, PCA&D's Director of Financial Aid can be reached at 717-396-7833 X 1013 or


Register for Open House Nov 18


Topics: FAFSA

Posts by Topic

see all

Popular Posts